I don't want to believe it...
It's gone...four months. I'm not the only one with these feelings. But this isn't misery, so company doesn't help.
I thought I would cry all graduation weekend. But strangely I didn't shed a tear. They wouldn't come. Which is very surprising to anyone who really knows me. I cried a lot through the four months. In the beginning I thought I couldn't wait till it was over. I thought I would be glad to have all the work done and behind me. Oh...but now I would take a hundred quizzes and tests...just to be back there again.
The tears are finally coming...but now there's no room 9 or 7 to run to. There's no Mama Tammey. My bungee cord is stretched across 1501 miles. It was all too fast. I don't think any of us thought it would end like this. They tried to tell us, but we must not have been listening close enough.
So many memories...
As one friend who knows what I'm talking about put it..."We had bruised our knees together in prayer. We had blistered our feet together going door to door. We had stretched our poor brains together trying to understand the covenants, and why they even mattered anyway. We had spent countless hours that we should have been asleep trying to finish up our Daniel and Revelation papers. We had lived together. We had laughed together. We had been annoyed by eachother. We had been mad at eachother. We were family." We watched each other transform. We saw the struggles. We rejoiced in the victories. We shared everything. We did everything together. Every little thing had significance. Each spot on campus...the picnic tables, the swing, the rock, the bridge, the prayer garden, the loop, the office, the trails, the gravel pit, the stars... We wrestled through together. We won together. We broke through barriers and over came fear together. We talked late into the night together. We claimed the promises together. We watched God do miracles right in front of our eyes. We stood in wonder together at the amazing privilege we'd been given.
And now it's over. And we are hundreds of miles away.
Oh it hurts... Like I've never hurt before. Like something in the pit of your stomach that is wrenching it and twisting it. Apologies to any of you who are not melancholy. Bless your hearts. Most of you who read my blog probably won't understand at all what is going. But a few of you will... you will... and you may even mingle your tears with mine. Thanks for understanding. I've needed to get this out for a week, but I feared being told to buck up and deal with it.
But I can't anymore...so I have process it out loud. Let it go. And I'll thank those of you who will hold me close and let me just cry...and understand. Because you've been there.
If heavens joy is even half as intense as this pain... Ah, but it will be so much more. We will be together again. And the final touch will be put on our joy as we meet on those glassy shores to wake the song again. We'll see all those people we prayed for, cried for, worked for. We will be together again...someday. Meet me there, friend. And don't be late...please.
Please Jesus, we are so small. How are we gonna do this? But you said we could because you would help us. So here's my fives loaves and two fishes. Do with it as you will. I surrender. Take my fears and my inhibitions, all my burdens, my ambitions. You can use it all to feed them all.* And please, Jesus, keep us faithful. Please. We want to get this done soon. We want to be together again. Not in a class room. But sitting together at your feet. Please Jesus, come soon.
*"Five Loaves and Two Fishes" by Corrinne May. Memory from our last all night prayer together.


Ah Jenae, I am keenly sympathetic to everything you've expressed, having experienced it myself...
ReplyDeleteHang in there, it won't be long now!
Hugs to you!
Jenae, I can relate... and the pain of parting memories never fully goes away - but they change you. And the change stays with us forever. One day, one day we will "never part again!"
ReplyDeleteJenae...thank you so much for pouring your heart out. I'm crying with you. I understand somewhat of the hurt and how hard it is...but Praise the Lord for it, for that means you got there, you made it through! The many times we were on our knees before you left wondering if you could ever get all the books out, the many times when classes began, when you wondered if you would ever make it through. He did work miracles for you and Praise the Lord you are forever changed. What an awesome God. I too am looking forward to that day when we will NEVER part again...no more tears, no more striving, no more pain. Just rejoicing in our Savior together...forever! Love you loves and can't wait to give you a big squeeze in 9 days! Abby
ReplyDelete@Kristina: I know you understand. :) Thanks so much for all your prayers and help. I'm so glad you could be there for grad too. Last night I went out and did some cold calls to people I sold books to this summer and invited them to the Depressions Recovery program that is starting up here. They all remembered me and were glad to see me again. It was a good balm for the homesickness. I think that is part of what I'm missing. Action. That part I don't have to leave behind. Yay! :)
ReplyDelete@ Esther: Thank you. I'll take the pain then. I don't ever want to lose what I gain there.
@ Abby: I'll be looking for that squeeze as soon as I see you. Thank you for your encouragement and prayers. I'm so glad I had you along on this journey. God far exceeded our expectations. :) Love you!
"Blessings through raindrops
ReplyDeleteClimbing to the hilltops
Teach us to SMILE and praise Your name..."
I know where you're coming from, Jen.
Remember to let go.
Holding on will only hurt more.
I know, Aubs. I'm glad you told me that. I hadn't realized it at first. But I have been working on it and I'm feeling much better. Especially after visiting some of my contacts in Douglas Sunday night. If you haven't read my blog on Commission129 about that, do when you get a chance. It was so what I needed after writing this post. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for that song! I've been humming it a lot since I left. It's like a blanket against the cold blasts of life. Let's sing it again soon.
Wow..... Your writing is just so wonderfully beautiful :D sorry about what happened i almost cried at the end so sorry again :(
ReplyDelete