Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rain dancing


When I began my experience at the age of 16 my Prince took me on his wings and flew me over His mountains. I was in awe, captivated, and impressed. I was thrilled that this was what I was to call home.  But then two years later He landed in the valley and let me off, telling me that the journey home was to begin there. I don't think I was listening close enough to hear that. Journey? What journey? I was too excited by what I'd seen that when my feet hit the ground I gleefully started running towards the slopes. I quickly found myself on the ground in a heap and realized they were far away now. For the next few years I struggled and wandered. Attempting at times to get back to where I thought I'd been on the mountain. But flying over the mountains is much different than climbing them. I thought for a while maybe I had fallen off track somewhere. I'd missed a turn. Now slowly I'm beginning to understand. The heights are not reached in a day.

I always dreaded trials. I thought they were to be endured. I couldn't understand why Paul said he rejoiced in his sufferings. Jesus said to leap for joy. James said to count it all joy. I didn't. I thought I just had to figure something out and I would be back on the heights in no time. This journey, this stumbling along lost and lonely, the pain, the rain, the storms would end someday. But slowly, gradually something has been happening in me. I don't know how God did it. My view of trials blessings and rain has been changing. After a couple years I began making it across the valley. I started catching on to the purpose of trials. I was beginning to understand but I was only playing at the foothills. It's only been in the last 6 months especially that the picture has been coming together.



The pain, the loneliness, the rain...have been my biggest blessings. It has been trough those times that I have come to know my Prince. His strength, His beauty, His wisdom, His love, His depth, His sufficiency, His individuality..... And I've learned that rain is beautiful. Pain is so healing. And progress is often made crying and crawling on your hands and knees. Gripping the cold wet earth and fighting your way through the storm. It's nothing like the flight over the mountains. But it is so much deeper. I'm beginning to learn to embrace the flame and let it burn. Let it hurt. Don't run a way from it. And my Prince is confirming these lessons in so many ways.

Fall came to Weimar last week and brought the rain. I had been almost craving rain. It came at just the right time and just the wrong time. The cold was refreshing. But it triggered major homesickness. Christmas carols (no shame) started sneaking into my room and I was dreaming of an evening snuggled between my mom and dad reading a good book in front of the wood stove. When the rain came Wednesday night I was really having a hard time. My best friend came into the dorm all wet from the rain. She would understand exactly what I'm trying to explain here. Her companionship in the last several years of this journey has been one of the biggest gifts God has given me. With one knowing smile at each other we took off for a much needed "rain dance". There's really no dancing involved, just walking with no umbrella. Rain dancing in Nebraska is a rare treat since the rain is usually accompanied by lightening. So I hadn't gotten to do it in a long time. We walked a half a mile and just soaked it in, stopping in the dark to just listen.



When you learn to dance in the rain you can begin to rejoice when it comes. You don't run for cover. Your not afraid of it. You embrace it. You begin to crave it. Because there is a feeling like nothing else can bring.

I know there will be many more opportunities to embrace the "rain" in the weeks to come. My strength has long since been spent. But now I see this is where my Prince wanted me to be all along. Flying on His wings doesn't mean near as much when your own are itching to take the skies and you think you can do it. But when your strength is gone. When you've been trudging up the slope with your last ounce. When you realize you can't take another step. Then you feel the strength in His arms around you.

Perhaps fear is losing his grip on me. Love is casting him out.

10 comments:

  1. Loved it Jenae:) Did you get my email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts, Jenae. Thank you for sharing; I'm stirred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is not wrong to say so, You are one of my heroes! I pray for us! And God is answering! God promises To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified. (Isaiah 61:3 KJV)
    I Love You, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end, I think pain is the glue that holds soldiers together. Both kinds of "together"...

    You could have been writing about me.

    But oh, I'm with you. Give me the deep life. Not the easy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Emily & Araya: I'm glad you were blessed. :)

    @ mommy: I needed that verse today. It's raining again. I miss you lots.

    @ Sean: I've been listening to Hinds Feet again. That book means a lot me. I don't understand all the whys. But the more I travel with the Shepherd the more I'm able to trust Him with my life even when it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenae - came across this today and it touched me. Thank you for sharing. As Sean said, you could have been writing about me.

    It seems God is taking a generation on a journey - a journey through pain, sorrow, hardship it may be - but it is a journey to higher life. And it is all worthwhile! So worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Esther: I'm glad you were blessed. I agree. I see a different trend among many in our generation. And I count it a great privileged to be among you. As hard as the road is I can truly say I would not want any other life. And God has sweeten our rough and steep path by the companionship of those who are also suffering up it's slopes.
    I'm am glad to meet you, Esther. I noticed you are a Bible worker. I feel a kinship with you since I will be graduating from AFCOE in one month. These have been some of the best days of my life. Watching people walk from the darkness into the light and embrace it and to being used to lead them to Christ. I hope someday we can meet face to face. Are you planning to attend GYC?
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a priviledge for me as well! And so encouraging to experience some of the sweetness of fellowship along the way.

    I'm glad you have been able to go to AFCOE. I'm really enjoying Bible work as well - it changed my life. I wish everyone could experience it! The impact it has had on my relationship with God and my walk with Him has been profound... more struggles, more trials - but more sweetness!

    It would be nice to meet face to face - actually will be at GYC this year. Maybe that is a possiblity?

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Esther: Yes, that is a great possibility! If you are friends with the Nebblett family I'm sure we will meet. :) I'll be at registration too.
    I very much share your wish that every one would experience sharing Jesus personally with someone in a Bible study. It has changed my life for sure! This is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
    Looking forward to meeting! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenae - Hopefully will see you at registration then. Looking forward to meeting as well! Will be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

blessed? your thoughts?