Tomorrow I leave for my first canvassing trip. It is 2.5 weeks long (the longest I've ever been away from home...yes, I know how old I am, but I’m kinda attached to my family) I will be going to Memphis, TN, with a group of students from Ouachita Hills College (OHC).
I'm excited...and scared...and nervous...and expectant. I've heard so many amazing stories from canvassing, the fierce dogs that lay quiet at your feet, the searching souls, the customer that meets you with a gun (true story from my brother), Divine appointments. I want to experience them myself. (well, ok maybe not the gun) I am aware that it won't be all fun and great times; it will be outside my comfort zone for sure. But that's part of what intrigues me. There's a side of me that craves impossibility just so God can show me His power. I have asked for this before and was shocked at His quick and thorough answer (some may remember certain temperamental headsets). Sometimes when a dilemma arises, my heart races with anticipation to see the mighty arm of my Prince at work. Not that I don't fear at times or cry or fret. I'm still learning. But it's like when a Father asks his child to close her eyes fall backward, trusting he will catch her. There is a fear, but yet a craving to know his faithfulness and strength.
Prophets & Kings is our current evening reading as family. We just finished the chapters of Nehemiah and the rebuilding of Jerusalem. It was greatly encouraging to me and strengthened my faith in the mighty arm of my God. Nehemiah did not have it easy, but he knew Who was on his side.
In his many activities Nehemiah did not forget the source of his strength. His heart was constantly uplifted to God, the great Overseer of all. "The God of heaven," he exclaimed, "He will prosper us;" and the words, echoed and re-echoed, thrilled the hearts of all the workers on the wall. PK 640
Endowed with divine energy, [truth] will cut its way through the strongest barriers, and triumph over every obstacle. Ev. 20
I know what I will be doing will not please the enemy, just as Sanballat and Tobiah were not pleased with Nehemiah rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem. But the God of Nehemiah is my God and He is going with me. I am going out with truth and it will cut its way through the strongest barriers, and triumph over every obstacle.
I always get very fearful at new things, so I don’t know why I crave them so much. (I haven’t figured myself out yet) But I guess it’s kind of like my little nieces. They will do something they are totally afraid of, even while their heart is racing and they’re shaking with excitement, as long as I am holding them tightly in my arms and doing it with them. That’s where I want to be…held tightly in the Father’s arms!
A friend shared Phil 4:6, 7 with me this last weekend, and I have been quoting it to myself for the past few days. “Don’t worry [fear] about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand His peace will guard you hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” {NLT}
I like that…He will guard you heart and mind. I picture Him setting a guard at the drawbridge of my mind. Sir Fearful (feigning to be Sir Caution) comes to gain admission. After a questioning by the noble guard, Knight Peace, he is seen to be a trespasser and the would-be visitor is taken captive (2Cor 10:5) and promptly conducted to the dungeon. (Ok, so I have an over active imagination. I’m visual. ;)
Of course I solicit your prayers. Not just for me, but for the whole group as well as for the city of Memphis. Pray that the angels of God that excel in strength will go before us and drive back the forces of darkness, and that His Holy Spirit will open the minds of the people to sense their need.
I will not have internet there. Otherwise I would post my experiences. I will write them down though and post them all when I get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment
blessed? your thoughts?